WIAW, getting back on track! Chickpea Wild Rice Soup Recipe

The focus this week is healthy eating so why not join up with What I Ate Wednesday and share my recent eats and a new recipe. My goals starting this week are to make everything possible from scratch that means soaking and cooking beans, making hummus, granola, snack bars, breads, etc. What do you make at home?

Marathon training starts next week and after the holidays I want my nutrition to be back on track for the 16 week training cycle. This time I am doing everything “right”! No excuses, no taking the easy route, I’m going to make this my year, get myself the race times I have been striving for and the strong body I’ve been lacking. Now this doesn’t mean I won’t indulge at times or have some wine, the 80/20 rule will be my friend.

Breakfast:
Banana protein oats (my go to breakfast 99% of the time)

Lunch (usually salad or leftovers)
Roasted beet and arugula salad with pecans and balsamic
Chickpea wild rice soup
Orange

Dinner
Potato bean gnocchi with spinach pesto topped with peppers
Beyond Meat Chickenless Strips

Snacks
Veggies and hummus (homemade)
Pumpkin Spice Granola (homemade)
Roasted chickpeas (just made my first batch)
Chia pudding with berries

Here it is the soup recipe....

Chickpea Wild Rice Soup
1 onion diced
4 cloves garlic
1 cup celery chopped (3-4 stalks)
1 cup carrots chopped (2 carrots)
2 cups rice (I used 1 ½ cups wild rice and ½ cup brown rice)
3-4 cups cooked chickpeas
2 cups veggie broth
4 cups unsweetened almond milk (could sub any milk)
2 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
Salt/Pepper to taste 1-2 tsp

Add all ingredients to soup pot and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes until rice is cooked. Can saute veggies first and add with 10-15 minutes remaining but I’m usually looking for easy cooking! Taste and add additional salt/pepper if needed.



What have you been eating lately? Check out others at WIAW.
What I Ate Wednesday Button


Comments

  1. It all sounds delicious, Jen! I'm kicking off marathon training, too... not a fan of winter long runs, so we'll see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try that chickpea wild rice soup. That sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your training! I have a race in less than two weeks and I am realizing that I have to change my eating habits after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

Turkey Day 5K

A few Races...