Chicago Marathon Prep

Chicago Marathon
Source
"Feet don't fail me now, take me to the finish line..."
Wise words from Lana Del Ray and I sit here obsessing about Chicago Marathon and full of taper energy. It's almost like the pregnant mom nesting (which I can't say I ever experienced!). Good thing I run marathons more than I'm pregnant, maybe my house will actually get organized.

As a marathon veteran I will be the first to say that the nerves, excitement, mixed emotions and craziness of taper don't get any better with experience. So what can one do to relax (a little) pre race. Here are a few suggestions...
  • Focus your energy on something else: read, bake (but don't carb load too much), have a family outing.
  • Focus on healthy eating, increasing healthy carbs and hydration.
  • Look back over your training and look at the highlights and runs that will help push you through the tough spots.
  • Visualize the race and the finish you want.
  • Plan for race day: nutrition, clothes, post race fun, etc.
  • Look at logistics of expo, race morning and post race. 
  • Sleep!

I am trying to follow my own advice but the nervous energy is taking over my brain and body. Resist the urge to go for the extra miles and focus that elsewhere. What can I add to the list of pre race advice?
 
Good luck to everyone running Chicago Marathon. Safe travels if you are an out of towner like I am. Continue to pray for cooler weather and a great race!

In other news I am in the process of transitioning to another blog and am undecided whether I will continue this one for more personal stories or not, in the mean time continue to follow me here and check out my new site Endurance Coach Jen for all my coaching and blog write ups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...