A PR for my birthday: Mpls 13.1

A few months back I got an email advertising an inaugural half marathon that just happened to be on my birthday, so I figured why not run it. It was a point to point course which combined the early miles of the old (pre-bridge collapse) TC10 course and a reverse of the middle miles of TCM.
I should have known early on that this race would be different: (1) Ophelia woke on her own and we were ready to leave on time (2) I was not waiting in the porta-potty line when the race started (3) We were actually in the start corral with time to spare (4) I actually had a good training week leading up to the race.

I lined up near the 1:45 pacer, still with that as my goal but hoping for a PR (1:43:27). The race started and I kept near the pacer for a mile or so until I got frustrated with the massive amount of people weaving through the course, seriously run in a straight line unless you are passing! I quickly had the 1:40 pacer close in front of me and decided to keep him in my sight, but running a pace that felt good. I look down at my Garmin at Mile 2 and realized I had stopped it when I locked it around Mile 1, oops. Prior to the race I was trying to picture the course and had a much less hilly version in my head, oh well the hills weren’t terrible just a lot of short ones nicely followed by downhill stretches.

I was feeling great until about Mile 9 when my belly started in with its normal run issues plus some nausea, uh oh the last time I felt this way during a race was TCM ’08 when it was 90F and some how this happened about the same place on the course, maybe it was just my body remembering because it passed quickly. Maybe the PowerBar Chews were actually working. I first tried these about a month ago on a long run and think they are my new favorite, easy to chew, not sticky and actually taste pretty good. Best of all you can get a free sample by going to the PowerBar website.

I still had the 1:40 pacer within sight and the course was now on a short out and back. Passing Mile 12 and I am seeing those around me starting to slow, time to start pushing and see who I can pass. I see the finishline clock and realize I’m going to get a PR and could even make a sub 1:40 if I push.

Mile 1: 7:38
Mile 2: 7:26
Mile 3: 7:31
Mile 4: 7:22
Mile 5: 7:18
Mile 6: 7:52
Mile 7: 7:41
Mile 8: 7:43
Mile 9: 7:39
Mile 10: 7:52
Mile 11: 7:47
Mile 12: 7:36
Mile 13: 7:23

1:39:57 (7:38 pace) 19/1148 Woman 4/223 AG 3:30 PR!

Don’t get me wrong I am thrilled with this time and my race, but there is always that voice in the back of my head saying “what if?” What if I had been running more than 45 mpw? What if I had been doing more speedwork? What if I wasn’t breastfeeding? Yes I could possibly change that first two, but don't have any intention of changing the third for awhile. Looking at this it only makes me feel more confident about my running and what I can accomplish if I train better, an infant does make this a little difficult at times. Watch out next Summer! Next up TCM and according to McMillan I should be able to run a 3:31 marathon, not putting too much credibility in that, but who knows.

Comments

  1. Oh my GOSH that is a HUGE PR. I am so happy for you! Yes, you are definitely doing something right. And happy birthday! Oh, and you couldn't find a fall marathon to shoot for a PR at that distance, too? No reason to believe a 3:31 is a stretch. Also, I am really impressed with the consistent times of your miles. WHOOHOO! Very impressive race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are very speedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - that is an awesome PR!! Perhaps 45mpw brings out quality in your training and mental freshness you don't necessarily get from higher miles - or perhaps you have achieved a great mental/physical/life balance for now...well done!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...