Reflecting on Marathon Training

Now 8 days post the marathon that got away the emotions have settled and I have become much more rational. I've gone through everything from I'm done with marathons to when can I sign up for the next one and I need to race as soon as possible. Last Thursday I had a talk with coach Nichole and looked a little into training and running. Here are my thoughts on the past year and training...
The past year in pictures!
The Good
  • I kept lower mileage
  • I took rest days from running and high impact cardio work
  • Increased speedwork, tempo pace of long runs, 
  • Easy runs were just that...easy!
  • I stopped being afraid of running slower on long runs
  • Strength training at least 3x per week and good core work
  • I started the marathon slower than goal pace
  • The hamstring gave me no issues!
The Bad

  • I never really took a break since TCM last October. In the past year I ran TCM in October 2015, New Orleans in February, 50K in April and then right back to TCM last week
  • I started feeling pain in left leg early August but kept running with it for about 1 month
  • I was forced to take off 12 days of running during peak marathon training
  • I missed a lot of quality runs in August and September due to leg pain/injury
  • Nutrition could have been better
  • Sleep was poor all summer
  • Mentally I struggle when I run and I fall apart
Image result for lessons from running
Source
Lessons Learned
  • Take time off of training and just run easy without no goal
  • Add in yoga (this was my goal but never happened)
  • Continue strength training with a heavy leg focus now in the off season
  • Listen to my body!
  • Start the marathon slower than goal pace
  • Take rest days
  • Don't be afraid to push myself both physically and mentally
What lessons have you learned through training? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

The marathon the wasn't, then was...

Updates: The Good and Bad!