My Very Wet & Muddy Honolulu Marathon Adventure

The adventure started on Thursday morning with an early flight into LA, we arrived only to find that there was a 5 hour delay. The team was getting a little crazy with nothing to do and a lot of energy, so we stayed plenty entertained. We finally got on our flight and into Honolulu late Thursday night, by the time we got checked in to the hotel I think I had been awake almost 24 hours.





Me at the Expo, Aloha!



Friday morning I headed over to the expo to pick up my number and I felt like I was in another country. They were speaking Japanese on the loudsepeakers and almost 3/4 of the runners were from Japan, so the Americans were very out numbered. I got to meet some running greats and get a few autographs. Friday was a rainy day and we tried to walk back to the hotel and got caught in the rain, so we grabbed some lunch and tried to wait it out. I guess I was happier to be stuck outside in rain and warmth than cold and snow. The team met up for dinner at Duke's (a reccomendation from many people) excellent food. Once again we were rained on on the way over.



Saturday was basically team day, starting with a short run in the heat and sun, I had been waiting for this. We headed over to the start line (about 1 mile away) and back and then had art class, decorating our jerseys. Then some relaxing time until the pasta dinner. The speaker (from Iowa) was great, his story about his wife was so touching. The Runner's World columnist, John "The Penguin" Bingham also spoke about his running experience and what to expect on the course. We also got to spend some time with McKenna's family, they decided that they needed to get way with other 2 kids and at the last minute decided to come to Hawaii. Seeing them made us realize why we would be out there in the morning.



Pink Toenails in Honor of McKenna!




Even the Chicken Had Pink Toenails!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

Turkey Day 5K

A few Races...