Woodbury Half Marathon

I decided to run this race with Matt and have fun as part of his TCM training. The weather was perfect, mid 50s at the start and 60 at the finish with sun and only a slight wind.

The morning of the race was early since we had to pick up our packets before 6:30am and it was about a 45 min drive. The plan was to pick up my parents at 5:15, so leave our house around 5am. Matt set his alarm for 4am, but decided it made sense to hit snooze until 4:53! He calmly woke me up to say we overslept a little. Surprisingly we managed to get dressed and feed ourselves and Morgan (who is a putz in the morning) and leave the house by 5:20. The timing ended up perfect, got a great parking spot at the race, grabbed our packets hit to port-a-potty a couple times and still had time to relax before the start.

Matt & I before the race

We started the race and kept a nice easy pace 8:45-9:00. The course was through neighborhoods, on running trails and through a lot of parkland, great course and flat at first, but hilly the second half. I have never run a race with Matt and it was fun, but I could tell he was having a tough time due to being sick the past week. He did keep me entertained though, we passed a guy around mile 5 who was making these weird grunting noises while he ran and Matt started imitating him, good thing the guy had his iPod on super loud because I was trying so hard to not laugh. Around mile 7 Matt started slowing and I kept my pace, even got slightly faster and before I realized it I was ahead, oops so much for running together. I started looking for a bathroom about halfway in and finally saw the one and only bathroom on the course at mile 10! Around Mile 9 I experienced a race first, in front of me 3 guys were running together and two of them started arguing to the point of yelling. One then pushed the other and stomped off really fast ahead (almost reminded me of a child's behavior), kept me entertained that mile.

The last half of the course was much hillier than the first but still good and my piriformis felt fine. The finish line was not well marked, so finally realized I had crossed about 10 feet behind me, guess I could stop running. Grabbed food, not a very good spread, just bananas and bagels, and watched Matt finish.

Finish time 1:54:00 8:43 pace at 19 1/2 weeks pregnant. I felt great the entire race and just ran what felt like a nice, easy pace. Oh and I beat Matt, he finished 1:58 (only his 3rd half under 2 hours).

I am loving this preggo running, it has really changed my racing/running mentality which I think is going to be very beneficial to me in the future to prevent injury and have a better racing experience.


Popular posts from this blog

What month is this?

Marathon Week

Strive 5K