Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chili and Corn Muffins: Perfect Superbowl Weekend Meal

In honor of Superbowl Sunday and Winter we decided that slow cooker chili and corn muffins were a perfect meal. After many failed attempts at GF corn muffins I think I have finally succeeded, everyone was impressed and the muffins lacked the density that my previous failed attempts had.

 4 Bean Slow cooker Chili
1 can each: black beans, dark/light kidney beans, white beans
4 cans tomato sauce (equal amount to beans)
1 onion diced
4 cloves minced garlic
1 Roasted red pepper diced
4 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 package soy chorizo (or leave out)
1/2 cup quinoa
Directions:
Saute onions, garlic, pepper until soft. Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high 4 hours. Add quinoa and cook another 30 minutes. Adjust seasonings as needed. Serve topped with cheese.
This recipe is easily changed, we’ve done various beans, soy crumbles, chicken for non-vegetarian, different peppers, and added veggies such as corn or tomatoes.

Corn Muffins adapted from The Daily Dietribe Corn Muffin Recipe
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup corn starch
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
7 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg
1/4 cup apple juice concentrate + 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup honey
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line muffin tins.
Mix flour, starch, baking powder, and salt. Stir in cornmeal.
In a separate bowl mix egg, juice, yogurt, and butter.
Stir liquid mix into dry.
Fill greased muffin tins to top and bake for 15 minutes.
Eat warm or reheat leftover muffins.

3 comments:

  1. This chili looks fantastic! I have everything on hand except the soy chorizo (I don't cook a lot with soy). Do you think that ground sausage would work?

    If you haven’t already, I'd love for you to visit my weeklyGluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and link up any GF idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    (Pinning.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that this recipe doesn't include quinoa. I clicked to this recipe from a link to 4 bean quinoa chili. Do you add quinoa to this or serve it on the side? (I haven't used quinoa yet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot I never changed the recipe. I started adding in quinoa instead of soy chorizo.

      Delete