Is the Whole 30 right for me?

 I feel like I am back and forth with my nutrition, I do great and then get bored and hit the snacks (massive amounts of PB, granola, etc) and add in the wine and birthday crème brulee and I need to get back on track! I’m not one to completely limit desserts and treats, heck I did that 20 years ago and the results were not great. I want to be healthy, eat to perform and fuel my body with good quality foods. I want to show O how to eat healthy and how to make good choices as she gets older but still enjoy the treats within reason.

Over the last few months I spend most of my days tired despite sleeping, exercising and being healthy. I mean so tired by late afternoon that I’m nearly falling asleep! I just had labs checked on Wednesday and so far everything is normal even my sodium for the first time in forever (barely normal but it’s there!), just waiting on my vitamin D level. Plus O has continued to have GI issues, complains of headache and tummy aches on a nearly daily basis despite us removing dairy. I wonder what more could be going on, luckily today we head for her 5 year check up. Then there is Matt who is reverting back to his childhood eating habits.

Sorry that got to be a long background to say I’m going to do (okay 95% sure) the Whole 30 starting Monday.

The Whole 30 is a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system. - See more at: http://whole30.com/stepone/#sthash.rGuFakso.dpuf

So most of it doesn’t scare me, but I love my quinoa and oats which aren’t on the list. No gluten, dairy, sugars, grains (yikes!) are allowed. Luckily on the vegetarian version pure protein powders are allowed. 30 Days isn’t that long, right? I can go without a few treats for a month, right? Have you done the Whole 30? What did you think? Share your favorite recipes.


I decided on the Whole 30 after looking at a bunch of options and knowing I need real food (okay we all do!), I need real calories, fat and protein. Plus I am marathon training and strength training and this seems to fit with a realistic plan during training. I’m hoping it may benefit my training, fix this nastiness in my lungs and increase my energy.

But first one final birthday celebration for O on Sunday with a vegan, gluten free carrot cake and some wine! What are you weekend plans?

Linking up with Jill for Fitness Friday

Comments

  1. I'm not really down with the idea of the Whole 30. I get a little funny with anything that is super restrictive, and while keeping sugar intake down is a good thing, cutting out so many things all at once becomes a slippery slope for me.

    Also, I really like cheese. ;)

    That being said, if you think this is the best way to kickstart your goals, good luck and I hope it does exactly what you would like it to do!

    This weekend, I am racing in a charity relay, entertaining house guests, celebrating my stepdad's birthday and going to a SuperBowl party. Busy, busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I don't know why things like oats and quinoa are "bad" and restricted. I like the idea of focusing on unprocessed foods though. I think a modified version is the best approach :)

      Fun, busy weekend :)

      Delete
  2. I think one problem with grains in todays diet is that people don't prepare them the way they used to be traditionally prepared to make them more friendly to the body in terms of absorbing nutrients. Having said that, i have heard of people having so much success eliminating grains from the diet (I found it easier than i thought, although really am at a 90/10 commitment) that i think it is worth trying. Be interesting to see what comes up with O, if she has an intolerance to one of the main allergens - wheat, dairy, eggs, soy or corn....or something else...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am mostly grain free thanks to celiac but do eat oats and rice. I think another part of the issue is the way grains are grown and processed now compared to the past.

      Delete
  3. Even if you only follow the stick with real unprocessed foods I bet you'll be able to feel a difference. Good luck with Whole 30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the main goal and restricting dairy since I know I feel much better without, so far so good :)

      Delete
  4. I find myself attracted to ideas like Whole 30, Paleo, etc., because of the parameters and restrictions. In reality, however, as a runner (can't keep up quality runs on only sweet potatoes, I have tried!) and with a family, it becomes too complicated. Also, I think past eating issues are what makes something like that appealing but then difficult to follow for me. And frankly, I would rather eat good whole foods most of the time and enjoy things than feel like I am constantly failing or in danger of failing! Also, I like my homemade bread. :-) All that said, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parameters are great and basis behind it but I agree it does limit your choice especially as a runner! I've learned to life without much bread thanks to celiac but love my oats and rice so keeping those things in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...