Running advice

I think I am asked at least daily for running advice whether it be from those wanting to start running or those wanting to improve. Recently I've had many questions from friends and family training for their first races. I love sharing my passion for running and hope I can pass this on to others too. I sat thinking about the most frequent questions I am asked and decided to put together a list, feel free to add your advice or questions...
Pinned Image
I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was perfect It's Fitness Baby
When do I start to like running? I think this is the most frequent question and I always hate to say "there are some days I still hate running!" For me the key is to take it easy some days and push myself other days, enjoy the surroundings while out and savor the victories whether this is running that 1st mile or a PR. Like anything new it takes work and does get easier, I still remember when 3 miles was a chore and now I can't remember the last time I wanted to stop after 3 miles.

Along the same lines: When does it get easier? Everyone is different, but you need to listen to your body and not feel that you need to push right away or on every run. Like I said above it is something new and will get better. Remember it took us more then 1 step to learn to walk.

How do I motivate myself? Sign up for a race to have a goal and soak in the excitement of the race atmosphere. Find friends or a group to run with, making that commitment to others is motivation to get started and it is always nice to have company in tough times to push us further, then go out for coffee afterwards. Listen to music, buy new running clothes and enjoy the fact that you will feel better and have more energy.

How do you find time to run with a toddler? Before I was a mom I was told so many times "just wait you will stop running." That didn't happen and I knew it wouldn't. It takes time management and some compromise. I often workout early in the morning (4am on workdays), take advantage of nap time and hit the treadmill at home or the gym childcare is a great benefit. Take the kid with, for us it was the only way I was guaranteed a nap the 1st year! But now we look at animals, stop at the park and I get a complete workout. Matt and I schedule long runs, sometimes splitting days and other times splitting BOB duty. I might sacrifice an extra hour of sleep or time to read or clean the house for a run, but it makes me a better mother and everyone is much happier.

What are the best shoes? Don't buy what is cute or the brand your friend has. Go to a running store for a proper shoe fitting and don't be afraid to take them back if they don't work after a run (most stores around here are fine if they are slightly worn). Please don't wear that pair of shoes you bought 5 years ago for step class. Most complaints I hear from new runners is that their legs, knees, feet hurt and then I find out they are wearing bad shoes, such a simple solution to prevent frustration.

Is it really okay to be a vegetarian and run? Yes, I have not eaten red meat in nearly 20 years and gave up the rest 3 years ago when I was pregnant. Find good alternative protein sources, I rely a lot on quinoa, beans, lentils, nuts, tofu and yogurt. No Meat Athlete has a great list. I managed to run 50-60 mph and breastfeed on a vegetarian diet for 2 years.

Is it really okay to run while pregnant? Okay so this doesn't usually come from new runners and is not medical advice, just my experience. Yes, as long as it is something you were doing prior and have a good fitness level. I ran a marathon and multiple halfs while pregnant and it was one of the best things I did. I had to listen to my body and take the pressure off myself knowing I was responsible for more then just a time that day. I think running made my pregnancy and labor much easier.

I love helping others find a healthy lifestyle and improve, whether this be through running or another form. I am currently in the process of working on a way to further work this into my career, stay tuned :)

Comments

  1. Great tips!! I know that some of them are hard to do (like I just cant take the girls on a run with me) but I just find times and plan way in advance for the runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there will be a day when I can't take O with me anymore, but like you said it is about planning and making time.

      Delete
  2. This is great advice. I actually like running, right now my hip is giving me problems, so I am doing a lot of other types of workouts to replace it... I never thought I would say this, but I miss running! :) stopping by from Fitness Friday blessings~

    Http://danisejurado.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, when you have to cut back or take time off you really realize how much you miss it! :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great list. I think the, "when does it become easier" question is one I get a lot and, like you said, I hate to say that I sometimes have bad runs still! But you have to take it day by day and follow a bad run up with a good one! The other I think new runners worry a lot about is that they are going to be the last person across the finish line at a race. I think good advice is to sign up for a race that has walkers as well for your first try! Once you get out there once, that fear goes away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, finding a race allowing walkers or aimed at newer runners is always great to reduce that fear :)

      Delete
  4. You definitely hit on the most common questions. Great answers! It really does come down to commitment and making it happen... I was told the same thing about having kids, but like you, I knew myself and knew I would absolutely find a way to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated all the "just wait..." I got when pregnant, I wrote a post about it! Commitment is huge and prioritizing, I find it funny when people tell me they have no time to workout but have an enitre list of TV shows they watch daily.

      Delete
  5. Great tips! A few I wish someone would have told me when I started.

    Thanks for linking up with Fitness Friday! Would you mind helping me spread the word. Please include the Fitness Friday button in your post or on your sidebar. Thanks a bunch!

    [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, of course JIll sorry I was posting early and half asleep still! I wish I had known this all when I started as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...