Now what?! Another running injury...

I've been injured before but somehow not even knowing the cause makes it even worse!

Here's a little background...my right foot is a problem child! Ever since a surgery at age 16 due to years of dance injuries, then two cuboid stress fractures during my 2nd marathon which resulted in cuboid subluxation. Add to that posterior tibial tendonosis and you have one angry foot!

It all started Sunday during my run when early on I had this slight foot pain (nothing different than I frequently get). The pain went away but quickly came back while I was walking Cooper after my run. By Monday morning every step meant pain that radiated mid lateral foot to ankle. I even gave in a went to urgent care wondering if I had broken it and not known, but X-Ray negative. This worsened despite doing nothing but walking on my foot and by Wednesday I had enough and saw my sports medicine friend. Sure enough a reread of the X-Ray showed signs of injury around cuboid. So diagnosis is still uncertain: cuboid stress fracture or peroneal tendon partial tear.


So what now?! I have some new foot wear and no running for another 7-10 days.hen see how things feel. Today is day 4 of no running and already I am getting antsy and frustrated! I think the worst part is being so limited. So far upper body strength, pilates, core and bike. Even yoga is too painful! I need to get in the pool this weekend. Unfortunately this week is crazy with Halloween events with O and work schedule that my gym opportunities are very limited. At least I'll have a super strong core after this!

Injuries suck but at least the timing is good considering I planned an easy 1-2 months then back to training. Besides swimming and biking what cardio workouts do you suggest? Maybe I'll be an injured runner for Halloween!




Comments

  1. Oh no Jen! SO sorry! I hope it gets better soon! I'm dealing with a super tight calf right now. The roller and I have become best friends lately! Hope we both feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, hope the calf improves quickly 😊

      Delete
  2. Aggggh! So sorry to hear! This has been popping up on my radar, just thought i'd pass it on as it may be of interest to you: theunbreakablebody.com. I watched some of the videos and thought it made a lot of sense to me...cardio workouts, hmmm, have you tried doing HIIT workouts but only 15-20mins? Very effective result for your cardio system in a short time, can be done any way you want, on an elliptical, water running, cycling etc....um, its not the season but kayaking, rowing? Good luck in your recovery, one day the pieces will all work together and you will have a kick-ass season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll check out that link. I love hiit workouts. Now just to find time to get to the gym

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Injuries stink. Hope all you need is the days off to make you good as new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is awful! I really do think cycling is best when you can't run though. Intervals on the trainer are pretty sweat inducing. Plus my friends who are serious cyclists have way better legs than I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for your injury. What about upper body work? Weights, kickboxing type moves. You could also do pilates...
    Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh I have only been injured once and it wasn't fun. I did heal by resting it and not worrying about the cardio until I could return to full strength. I would concentrate on strength building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. I'm so sorry Jen. I wish I had wonderful words of wisdom to make this easier or even better how to make it go away. I'm all too familiar with your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to hear of another runner that's injured! I hope your foot heals quickly and you are back at it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...