A new approach to injury management

Source

As I mentioned in my race recap from this past weekend I started having hamstring issues well that soon migrated to my calf leading to a failed run attempt on Sunday and then time off. The last I ran was An easy run Tuesday with my team which included walking. A similar calf issue crept up last winter while I was training for Boston and my approach was to keep running and just complain about it, not such a smart idea but I know every runner has done it! This resulted in a tibial stress fracture and continued calf and hamstring issues all year. This time I am taking my own advice and a new approach: no running!

I am still early in the year and I can not deal with another poor racing season. So my plan this year is to Be Smart and Listen to my Body. I have been sticking with elliptical, strength training and biking instead, had hoped to do some pool running but the deep pool hours are terrible and often too early or during naptime. My plan...

Rest: No running but still staying active with any other activity that does not cause pain
My workouts this week
Ice: Not as great on this, but 1-2 x day but should be up to 4

Compression Socks: I put on my socks and the relief is wonderful :) I even decided to order a new pair since they are 40% off at ProCompression this week (code MARCH). Now to decide on blue or orange since the green is out, what color should I get?

Yes, I have cold feet and wear huge socks all the time.
Massage: The foam roller has become my companion again. But I have my own little massage therapist at home. 
I started foam rolling and O says "Mommy I need to "lift" (stretch) your leg then "push on it" (massage) when you are done." Raising a runner or massage therapist! 

 Someone also suggestion epsom salt which I haven't tried. I talked to sports doctor yesterday at my clinicals about kinesio tape and he gave me his opinion to avoid it since there is minimal evidence to back it up and no biomechanical benefit. Good to know. Any other injury suggestion before it turns into a bigger deal?  I am hoping this is enough to run pain free in the half tomorrow, I think I need to throw out my goals and just run. Meaning I'll likely have my iPod, Any song suggestions? I haven't updated in months. 

Linking up for Fitness Friday with Jill. Remember come back here on Monday for a weekly training link up
.
Don't forget the Spring to Fitness Giveaway  ends on Sunday, lots of prizes to win!

Comments

  1. Hope your plan helps! Running injuries can be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, bummer!! Glad to hear you backed off the running. Any chance you could skip the half? If you're not going to "race" it, maybe you could give the bib to someone? But I know I would still want to run in your shoes, too. :) You're doing all the right things, hope it's 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first in a 4 race series I am running and my run group is doing the race so I really want to run it. I figure worst case if I can't race I can always run with a friend doing her 1st half. The pain is much better so I hope I am fine :)

      Delete
  3. Good job listening to your body Jen:) I have heard good things about epsom salts but have never tried them. I say go for the orange socks. I have been really into orange lately since that is the color of all the Colton's Army gear:) Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards orange that is the color of my team race jersey :)

      Delete
  4. I wish I had some other advice but it sounds like you have everything covered. I've heard the same thing your doctor said about the tape for compression too. But so many people praise the benefits of compression that I've got to get a pair of socks for my cranky calves soon. I'd go with blue if it's bright or baby blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the socks :) I started wearing them for my cranky claf last year and got hooked!

      Delete
  5. I did the same thing all week. I feel awful not running but I had to take a break. Gonna try for an easy run later and see how it feels. That will determine my race status for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the run went well and you can race tomorrow :)

      Delete
  6. Boo on injuries! But good for you on playing it smart and resting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying very hard, didn't even let myself run to try it out today!

      Delete
  7. I should try out those socks! I have been using compression ankle wraps, but to be honest the socks look so much cuter! Sounds like you are doing everything right, so hopefully you'll get over this injury quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro Compression is awesome, I tried others but these are my favorite :) LOve that they do deals all the time too.

      Delete
  8. I echo everything you're doing and sadly I had to learn the hard way to listen to my body! Sorry to hear about your injury :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh :-( this sucks. I'm glad you're still moving on the elliptical and bike, but man I wish I could take that injury away from you. An injured runner seems so unfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, doing what I can and trying to be smart hoping it is short lived :)

      Delete
  10. It's harder to rest than workout so hats off to ya & hope it heals quickly...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...