Marathon Week 8




Week 8 means halfway through this training cycle. After a few good weeks I am even more frustrated than I was a year ago with my less than stellar 2012 in racing. Well my first injury of 2013 marathon training has decided it will be hanging out for longer then I hoped. This has meant limited running and plenty of time with the foam roller, ice and cross training.

Monday: Yoga to start the day & 1:15 elliptical
Tuesday:  Slept in and skipped spin. Weight class (trainer cancelled), Easy 2 miles (morning) & Easy 5.5 mile Run (coaching)
Wednesday: 1:15 Intervals on elliptical (not as fun as it sounds L )
Thursday: Morning Spin & weights with trainer
Friday: Morning Spin
Saturday: Half Marathon (report tomorrow) + 2 miles to help friends finish. Not close to my goal but it was not the day for this
Sunday: 1 hour spin + 1 hour elliptical & Weights

And what's ahead for Week 9 of marathon training? More being smart and getting injury free and this...Can you believe it is March 18th and we have more snow coming? Even worse it is 20+ degrees colder than average. This makes not being able to get out and run a little easier.
 
Goal: Continue to listen to my body. Now is the time to not be stupid. I am foam rolling like a crazy person and did yoga, taking a more time off running until this hamstring stops.

Monday: Yoga to start the day & elliptical or pool running
Tuesday: Morning Spin, weights with trainer & Easy evening Run (coaching) if leg feels okay
Wednesday: Morning Run (Speed Intervals- ladder workout) as long as the leg feels fine otherwise pool running
Thursday: Morning Spin & Afternoon weights
Friday: Morning Spin & Yoga
Saturday: Easy run pending leg
Sunday: Recovery Run & Weights

I am hoping to get in for ART with my sports chiro but thanks to my insurance was told I am only covered if I have a referral from my primary (I don’t have one now that I switched insurance, ugh). What a waste of health care resources and money! Luckily, thanks to my years of running injuries, I have a regular sports medicine doctor who would count, hope I can get his advice on the phone. Deep breath, stay calm and be smart. What is your favorite non-running activity when you are injured?


How was your week in training? Have a training post of any distance, then link up and share stories, encouragement and concerns.





Comments

  1. I hope the extra rest does the trick! There is nothing more frustrating than injury in the middle of a marathon cycle. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, at least it is nasty weather so I am okay with being stuck inside to workout.

      Delete
  2. Have heard good things about ART. I hope you can get in to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ART is wonderful, I had such great luck with it for piriformis issues in the past :)

      Delete
  3. Extra rest is probably the best approach. But it's the hardest mentally! I hope you feel better!

    Also, the scene outside your window looks (unfortunately) similar to mine. This is the winter that never ends (please sing that to the tune of Lambchop's "This is the song that never ends!")

    Here's to a better week for both of us, partner!

    xoxo,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yes this is the winter that never ends! :(

      Delete
  4. It's great that you're being so proactive about staying injury-free! Sometimes it's too easy to just fight through the pain. I'm just getting into yoga and have yet to pair it with a training cycle, but I'm excited about what it'll do for my running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is great for running :) I have learned from pushing through too much in the past that it is not the best plan!

      Delete
  5. Girl I feel your pain! Remember my knee injury during marathon training for Disney? Hope the rest helps girl! And ART is awesome!!! Hope you can get in for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy, yep remember that knee :( ART is great and awful at the same time!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're taking it easy and listening to your body. As for that snow- yuk! We still have pretty cold weather here in KY too. I'm so ready for Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to be smart and crossing my fingers for spring. Although all the snow is making it easier to not run :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so freakin' over this weather...I refuse to accept that more snow is coming. The good news is it won't last long but still.

    Hope the rest, foam rolling, ART and yoga do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too just keep saying this has to end soon!

      Delete
  8. Your week still sounds way more active than mine! I have been having issues with my hips and the day following MY long run (said like that because 5 miles is very far for me) I do Pilates and just don't run. An upper body workout is always a good option on hip hurt days. :-)

    I hope your i jury heals soon. And I totally understand about the wonky weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having a blonde moment..what is foam rolling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is basically a way to massage the soft tissue, using a large foam roller, hurts but works!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...