Another on the injury list; Puppy Arthritis Remedies
Things are not looking great for runners in our house: First me and this angry hamstring/piriformis, then Matt and his knee (he hasn't run in nearly 3 weeks hoping it is enough to manage a triathlon and half marathon this weekend) and now add to the list my first running buddy, Morgan :) I know I haven't talked much about him on here but he's my first baby and has been running with me 7 years. I still remember when we first got him and he sat in the basket of the shopping cart at Petco, all calm and innocent, wow did he shock us! 7 years later he still has the attitude of a lab puppy combined with the protectiveness of his German Shepard side but has grown to nearly 80lbs and towers me if he stands!
We've known since early that he had hip issues, common for a lab, and started on glucosamine joint supplements and he continued to run complaining after hours at the dog park but he would never back down. I've taken his lead and dropped our miles this spring to only 3-4 miles 2-3 days a week of running and walking other times. He rarely acts as if he has pain but will at times whine if you touch a hip. We decided to X-Ray again yesterday and sure enough: Osteoarthritis that is slightly advanced, boo :(
Hoping to figure things out and that we can continue our easy runs, vet said as long as Morgan wants to run, then we run! Wish us luck and no tummy issues! Who was your first running buddy? Do you run with a dog? Here's hoping we are all injury free soon and back to being pain free.
|Proof he was small at one point, look at that cute face!|
|Out for a nice Spring run!|
So what next? He loves to run and I feel so safe with this big guy next to me so I love it too. And after 7 years he is finally starting to lose the puppy spunk and calm even more. We are beginning Rimadyl (hoping his sensitive tummy does okay) and have talked other options for later like cold laser therapy- something I am currently doing for my hamstring. But of course I sit here wondering what else without adding in more meds. Anyone have great options for dogs? I hate to medicate him on NSAIDs for the rest of his life with all the possible side effects. So I began my research...
Natural Arthritis Remedies for Dogs
- Weight loss: not an issue here, but we can work to maintain a healthy weight
- Grain Free/ Natural Food Diet: right now he eats food for active dogs, but suggestions say make your own: eggs, meat, rice, etc and remove wheat/gluten while increasing protein
- Glucosamine Supplement: like I said our vet, who is wonderful, started him on these at about age 1 or 2 when we first started seeing him
- Fish Oil: this was my first thought, why not? it is suggested for humans. As I mentioned last week with me, it reduces inflammation but lets the body continue with good inflammation. Vit E is also a great addition with this.
- Pain Relief: NSAIDs, Tramadol, etc. yep, we're on this but I'd prefer to back off unless needed
- Acupuncture/ Chiropractic: while I find great results with chiropractic for my own injury I honestly wonder how well my big guy would handle this. I mean this guy needs Xanax to gets his nails cut (nope, not kidding)!
|Post sedation, we had a relaxing day...|
Don't forget to enter my Spartan Race Giveaway!