2014 in Running: Lessons and Growth
Here it is the final day of 2014 and time to take a minute and look back at my strange year in running. I can sum it up in 2 words: Injuries and Growth.
Injuries struck me down starting from day 1 as I continued to push through to my goals but quickly realizing this was not happening. After a disappointing (but wonderful) experience at Boston I took my first break and learned a lot. I tried new things: Cross Fit, P90X3, PiYo, Pilates, Yoga, Rowing. I got back to running less miles and feel much better but still had an odd finish in October when my body shut down with about 4 miles to go at a marathon, I was on pace for a 3:25 but soon changed focus to staying upright and finishing leading to a 3:40 finish. An odd ankle/foot injury 1 week later meant another 6 weeks off running and rethinking my 2015 plans. I am back to running 4-6 miles now 2-3x a week but realizing my body does not like the uneven ground outside in winter and really likes the mix of cross training!
- Dopey Challenge: fun but too tough on my body!
- Completed marathons 24, 25 & 26!
- Actually DNS at multiple races rather than push through pain
- 1888 Miles (lowest years since I started!)
- No PRs
- I met Meb at Boston!
- Found more great running friends
- Coached more great runners
- Learned a lot about what I can do to be a better runner!
- Learned I enjoy things other than running!
- Traveled to Florida, Massachusetts and Georgia to run
How was your 2014? What did you learn? What was the best part?