A little random complaining

A little more randomness and some complaining for Thursday...

I hate DST! We are now on Day 5 of way too early wake ups. Normally Monday and Wednesday I am awake for woke before 4am but get to sleep the other days until at least 5 or later, not this week. Someone has decided that 4:15 is now morning. Three long work days with minimal sleep mean a tired unproductive me. The worst part this is even more then 1 hour early, she normally sleeps until 6 or 7. Usually we have a day or two of bad sleep then all is fine, but this is too much!

Besides the sleep issue I hate the lack of daylight in the evening! This week has been rough. I started training a group for a New Year's 5K, many new runners and we are now starting runs in the dark. How discouraging for new runners. And thank you to the city for removing street lights! I can't even come up with a good reason for that.


My headlamp gives me a headache. As I said above the lack of daylight means need for headlamps, which I hate. Maybe I need a different style but I am finding that it either bounces too much or is too tight, either way I end up with a headache after just a couple miles. I have tried a few different ones.

I am so happy the election is over! I am so glad to be free of political commercials, mail, door knocking, etc at least for awhile. Now can we all just get along?! Yes, the results mean that not everyone got the decision they wanted but this is America and the reason we get to vote. A friend of mine had a man spit at her and her two young kids yesterday because she had a sticker on her car supporting the "Vote No" campaign to not discriminate against the possibility of ever allowing gay marriage. That is awful, he knows nothing about her and only based his action on a sticker. 

And now back to the food issue I first discussed a couple weeks ago. Last week in school, despite a list of healthy snacks to bring, one mom decided to bring cookies which were served without first informing parents. Not just any cookies but the large frosted ones! And snack is at 10:30, right before lunch! The result, no nap, a crazy 2 year old bouncing off the walls and a nasty rash! I don't bring her to school but when I heard this I was fuming! Even worse the teachers (or most parents) didn't understand why this was an issue. I guess when they go on to talk about how their children only survive the store with suckers and cookies.

This was brought up yesterday in class and I somehow turns in to the strange mom who deprives her child of food. What? No, I just want to know what is being served and have a say. What child needs a huge cookie before lunch anyways? The response, the kid wants it. No way, don't blame this on the child, they lack the knowledge to make these decisions at age 2 or 3, this is a parenting thing. We need to role model and teach these healthy behaviors and help with the decisions. I think much is a lack of knowledge, one mom replied to me limiting her sugar with a comment about me not letting her eat fruit either, because "you know fruit has sugar in it." Thanks, I was not aware of that! Ugh!

Okay I am done...Anything you need to complain about today?

Comments

  1. Agree, do not blame it on a child. Children do not know and they do not miss/want something if you do not teach them to have it. I did not know what chips were until I was 10 and a schoolmate brought it to school trip. We had soda (Coca-Cola) only for Easter and Christmas. Instead of lollipops my mum used to give me a chicken bone to suck on (ok, that one is weird but I was 2, I did not care and I LOVE chicken) and I had cheese as snack. I never miss unhealthy stuff because I was not used to it.
    Of course, then if got ugly. Once I was able to afford it I started living on cookies and muffins. But it not my parents fault, it is my own decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is the parent's job to teach the healthy habits and know that we will all make our own choices later. I did the same thing when I could buy my own treats but have gone back to healthy eating :)

      Delete
  2. Wait. Hold the phone. Are you telling me 2 year olds WANT to eat COOKIES! Who'd have thunked it ;) Sorry you were made to feel like the loony mum, that sucks. Keep fighting the good fight, your little girl will benefit from not being shoveled full of garbage. I'd have maybe lost it at the fruit comment, you have more patience than I and are clearly a better person :) I can feel the lack of sleep coming through in your post, we sound the same when we're tired! Hope it settles down for you soon, sleep is the best.
    I am the crazy mum where I live, not because of the healthy snacks or excess running but because we cycle to school every day. It's maybe half a mile tops but you'd think it was the Tour De Bleedin France the way the mums feel the need to comment....every.....single....day. It's starting to really grate upon my nerves :D It's good to be different, right! Keep up the good work. Oh, aren't there little lights you can clip to the front of your baseball cap? I don't run with any but definitely should and have nearly come a cropper on a few occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for being the crazy cycling mom ;) I need to find one of the clip lights.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! So dark outside!!!!
    It's a great idea to have a headlamp, just a bummer that it gives you a headache.
    Cheers,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh, we are dealing with two of the same issues! We were all up at 5am, when L used to sleep til 7... argh! When she gets overtired, wake time gets earlier and she really resists naps.
    And the sugar thing sounds just like her school. The teachers do not think anything of it and the parents bring giant treats, drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the teachers made it seem like we were the one's doing the strange thing and that we needed to adapt to the teats!

      Delete
  5. I am so very glad that Bella's school does not allow parents to bring in treats and no b-day celebrations in a food way. Honestly, that seems the way to go.

    On the other hand, I try not to get too bothered by the refined carby snacks they are getting for snack time, even though I don't love it. Although if I could bring in a bag of TJ organic apples each week, I would do it...actually maybe I should check? Anyway, Bella now knows about things like cheez-its and graham crackers and all sorts of other boxed snacks. She tells me about them with big eyes full of wonder. For now it makes me smile (and she hasn't quite caught on to the fact that they are actually sold in places like Target)...it will lose it's cuteness as she gets older and even more aware. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they couldn't bring in junk treats, the strange thing is there was a list at the start of the year of all healthy food they had to pick from, guess that doesn't apply any more! We have our share of processed snacks just thanks to the ease of bringing them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...