A Big Change: What Have I Just Done?

Today is a NEW Day!  Start Fresh!
Have you even made a huge decision that is going to change your life? One that is scary but exciting all at the same time? Well this is exactly what we just did...

I have just made a huge change in my life and will embark on something I have never done in years, starting today I am no longer employed! This was a huge decision that happened after Matt and I talked and realized how unhappy I was with my current situation and how this was causing issues in all aspects of my life. I know I have mentioned this is a vague way over the past few months but never came right out to say how much I hated what I was doing. It is amazing how something like a job can negatively effect all aspects of your life. I was realizing that my stress and attitude along with all the hours working at home were straining my role as a mom and wife. There were 3 choice: 1) keep the same and continue on an unhappy road, 2) look for something new and wait or 3) walk away now and hope for the best. I chose #3 which terrifies and excites me at the same time.



Yes, this will be a huge change since I have pretty worked since taking my first part-time job 20 years ago. Through this experience I realized a few very important lessons: 1) Ask all the questions and gather all the information at the beginning 2) Get "promises" in writing and 3) Don't get caught up in the excitement of something new to miss what is real.
If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.
So, what is next? Time to pursue my passion for wellness and running while I finish grad school. Luckily for me I have an education that allows me to work many contract jobs so I have this to keep me going financially as I pursue my dream.

I figure there is a reason I have taken time to become RRCA and NASM certified in 2012. I have worked with hundreds of runners at all levels to achieve goals from their first 5K to a marathon PR and love it. I am stepping out of my comfort zone and reaching out to connections and hoping to find that right fit. In the mean time Anyone need a personalized  run training or workout plan? I will give you a deal, I'm serious on this let me know. Or if anyone out there in blogland has connections I'd love to chat too.

Lucky for me I am finally feeling better and was able to get out for a 2 hour run yesterday to think and gain clarity on my decision. It is amazing what a run, no matter how tough, can do for us. I have decided that instead of worrying about whether this is the right decision I am embracing it and seeking new possibilities, reaching out to my connections and trying new things.

Comments

  1. Oh I'm so excited for you! A new year, new beginnings, and lots of change. It's awesome to go after your dreams! You can do it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, awesome! I cn totally see you heading down the coaching road too, enjoy this time stretching your wings and exploring the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited and hope to learn a lot about my true passion :)

      Delete
  3. As a family we have been in the same position, my husband was very unhappy in last job. We left it, moved continent (again) and have not looked back - all whilst pregnant with baby number 3. It was scary but fortune favours the brave, I hope this works out for you, I think it will.
    I am in last week of taper before Houston and have been thinking about whats next. I really want to get a weight/core/strength.....I don't really know what I NEED, session built into my weekly routine. I'd like to do a one hour session twice a week and then also have a 20 min session for every other day. But just running specific exercises, I don't care about how my body looks etc just want to target the muscles that will benefit my running. I know you work with someone on this type of thing and I really have very little idea (I know I want lunges in there but that's about it!)
    I was doing some core work but that fell by the wayside when my miles got big and my husband was away with work for a couple of months. Anyway, if you think you can help put something together for me let me know. Again, a one hour session and 20 min session. ps I LOVE to get my heart rate up and find exercise that doesn't elevate it VERY dull so if you can accommodate that great. I would do the hour session at the Y so have access to everything and anything but the 20 min would be at home more often than not but I have some 'stuff' and could buy some more if you recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck at Houston :)

      I do a lot of run specific strength including core, strength and power moves. I have some fun workouts but running strength and weight routines. Once you are done with a great Houston contact me and I'd love to help.

      Delete
  4. That is definitely a scary and exciting step! I'm really proud of you for recognizing all the stress it was causing and making a change. I know good things are ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I knew it was time and I needed to stop digging a bigger hole of stress and unhappiness.

      Delete
  5. Totally scary and exciting! You have an awesome road ahead of you!! Can't wait to see where the path will go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to see the path either :)

      Delete
  6. Woohoo! That's awesome Jen! Good for you. Not many people have the courage to do that. Good things are definitely in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for watching out for yourself and taking care of YOU. Good luck and positive thoughts coming your way as you wait to see what life has in store for you next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sometimes we forget it is important to be happy too :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!

    I would love to do this at some point as well. I also have skills that made it easy to freelance, and I'm working on launching a side business. We're not at a place where I can leave my job, though... the husband is still finishing his graduate degree. :-)

    I'm definitely excited to read about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a hubby finishing grad school, luckily he is also working full time enabling me to make this leap. Good luck to you as well :)

      Delete
  9. So exciting! Big change but I think a great choice:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine how scary that can be. But why be miserable for the next 30+ years on a job you do not like, right? It is better to be miserable (scared, anxious etc) for a few weeks/months until you find something what you like. And if Matt supports it then it is all good.

    Do you have by any chance any background/experience in sport dietology/nutrition? Or want to get experience/need a lab rat? I would totally hire you! I do not care about certification, you seem very knowledgeable in that department as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, this is where I finally got and want to be happy in my career :)

      I have education in nutrition through my undergrad/grad degrees and my own researching. I'd love to help: email me marathonmom28@gmail.com and we can talk :)

      Delete
  11. Congrats...that is very exciting. Are you done with nursing then? Or still interested in working as an FNP someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to pick up some nursing shifts to makes some $ and my ultimate goal is to open my own wellness based health clinic as an FNP :)

      Delete
  12. You got this! Think of all of the support you have! And I may try to contact you in a few weeks... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami, I do have great support from family, friends, and blogland :)
      Send me an email if you need any help

      Delete
  13. Congrats on making this decision! It's so empowering to chase your dreams and live for your happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, today hubby asked me how I felt about the decision and I feel great about it:)

      Delete
  14. Just found your blog via Mommyrunfast 5 by the 5th challenge :)

    Congrats to you for stepping out on a limb to persue those things that make you happy- but keep you challenged.

    Nothing beats a 2 hour run in snow to clear the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! I always get excited to hear when someone is stepping out in faith (mixed with a healthy dose of fear) because it inevitably means even bigger, better things are ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right, I feel great about the decision and that is what really matters :)

      Delete
  16. Congrats! I've been down this road and it is well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carli, always good to hear about others having success :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...