Back to reality: Costa Rica Vacation

My view every morning from our balcony
Sorry for the week of sporadic posting and blog reading but I was enjoying my time relaxing in the sun and warmth of Costa Rica. I was not thrilled to return home from a week in 90F weather to -17F when I stepped off the plane and now today it is the coldest day in 4 years, yikes! My first experience with Costa Rica was in 2006 when Matt and I spent a week near Liberia, we were immediately hooked and knew we'd be back. Things were a little different this time around and included an almost 3 year old and my parents and we stayed further south in Tamarindo at the Barcelo Langosta Beach Resort but we're reminded why we had wanted so much to return (and will be going back again). Can you complain about a place where the weather is always sunny and warm, the people are friendly, the land is beautiful and the wildlife is plentiful?
Mountain view from our room
I could write forever but I will keep it short and say most of it in pictures. The week was meant as a time to relax, re-energize and have fun. Most days began with an early run with views of the ocean, monkeys, mountains and palm trees. After wonderful coffee and breakfast it was time to spend hours splashing in the pool or playing on the beach until lunch.


Discovering the tide pools.

The afternoon meant time for a family walk and playing at the playground before nap (and hitting the gym to lift weights and spin). Back for more swimming before a late dinner, my only complaint...who eats dinner at 7pm?! My outgoing child made friends of the entertainers: joining the band on stage multiple times, helping to lead aerobics at the pool and making friends everywhere she went. Now to foster this personality as she grows and her life will lead her many wonderful ways.
Afternoon swim with daddy
Thursday we had an opportunity to explore further inland and see more of this beautiful country. It all began with a tour and coffee tasting.
Coffee Plantation
It was actually very interesting learning about the entire process of growing, selecting and roasting organic coffee. They even taught us how to taste coffee and showed us the difference between where coffee is stored: the result is to store in a glass container at room temperature. We of course had to bring some home, nothing better than good coffee.
We ended with a river boat ride in Palo Verde National Park with many wildlife sightings: crocodiles, monkeys, birds, iguanas, lizards. Last time Matt and I went even further and spent a day in the rain forest but decided a 14 hour day would be too much for a toddler and stuck with this and had a great time,
"Daddy" Iguana

One of many crocodiles along the river

White faced Monkeys

I highly recommend Costa Rica to everyone, it was perfect for us now as a family and a few years ago as a childless couple. I know we will return again, we would have stayed longer if O had her way! Overall it was a great vacation minus a few toddler meltdowns, my foot injury and GI issues: the joys of traveling gluten free, but we can discuss that later. Now back to the past-vacation reality of cold weather, laundry, massive emails to respond to and daily life. And today begins another round of marathon training and birthday preparations for a little girl who turns 3 in 7 days!

Comments

  1. That looks so beautiful! Welcome back. I'm glad you had such a nice time away... this is the idea time of year for a getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect to leave the cold weather, one of my requirements for living here!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a place that I want to visit! Glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it! Costa Rica is one of the few places I have ever needed to go back to multiple times :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back to the freezing cold! The negatives are so much fun! Your vacation looks amazing. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It is so nice to see a palm tree and the color green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want the green and sun back this brutal cold is way too much!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an amazing trip! It's so great that you can take your daughter to such a unique place. I traveled a ton as a kid, but never left the country (except to Canada, but you didn't need a passport for that back then!). I love warm sunny vacations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to travel much as a child except locally so I want to show her all these wonderful experiences :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful vacation! I love it when small kids are so open to new things. You're right fistering her outgoing persinality will only lead to great places.

    And, no, I wouldn't complain if I were able to go to such a wonderful place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a sponge with new experiences and it is wonderful :)

      Delete
  6. Your trip looked amazing! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I hope to get to Costa Rica sometime in the next couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went to Costa Rica last April. It is amazing, and we too know we will be back! It is a great country full of wonder people and food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures from vacation! Glad you guys had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Costa Rica is such a wonderful place :)

      Delete
  9. I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in the summer. I'm looking to experience the island culture as well as some sailing and snorkeling. Does anyone have any recommended Costa Rica Resorts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stayed in TAmarindo, I'd highly suggest that area :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...