Living Healthy and Saving Money

if you don't...
My Daily Reminder
I want to thank everyone for your support and encouragement on my big decision to quit working and pursue my coaching/training career further. I know this was right for me and others are seeing it too, so far this week I’ve had 3 people comment how I seem happier and my esthetician said the energy was so positive (okay not sure I get into that but sounds great!). I am excited for all the doors to open but in the meantime we are working on saving a little money to make up for my lost income. Is it possible to live a healthy lifestyle without spending a lot?

Buy running shoes/clothes online: I love Running Warehouse where I can typically get my $130 shoes for <$100, combine with free 2 day shipping and free returns and I love the site. They frequently offer discount codes too for another 10-15% off!

Check out frequent workout programs at the gym: Many insurance companies and employers offer gym discounts for working out 12 times a month, this is really pretty easy to get especially when you have kids who want to take advantage of the pool and activities too. It doesn’t hurt to work part-time at the gym either meaning a free membership.

Run or bike to the store: I often run with O in BOB the 2 miles to/from the grocery store or bike to return a Red Box. Get in a workout, save money on gas and decrease how much you buy.

Buy in bulk: I love Costco for everything from oats and bananas to toilet paper and running gear. Freeze excess fruit and vegetables to make them last longer.

Make your own: I am hooked on making my own granola and want to attempt making my own sandwich bread soon. I also avoid flavored yogurts and buy plain instead adding my own fruit. Along these lines, I grow my own vegetables and herbs in the summer.

Limit eating out: This will be our tough one since we are in the habit of weekly dinners out. My goal is to cut down to once a month and use Groupon or LivingSocial deals.

Plan meals and stick with it: Plan according to what you have and what’s on sale, make a list and don’t deviate from this at the store. I am such an impulse buyer!

Start a DVD swap with friends: Doesn't it always happen that you buy a workout DVD do it for a couple months and then get bored. Why not trade with friends for a couple months, try something new to you and then when you get your DVD back you're ready to be back to that workout.

Plan free activities and workouts: I spend 2 days each week over the summer doing boot camp and yoga outside at the park with friends. With kids hit the park, library, even gym childcare is fun for them!

Budget! This is my goal, I honestly have no idea how much we spent, this is scary.

What are your money saving tips to live healthy? 

Comments

  1. thanks for some good ideas! I am seriously contemplating going to part-time work after P comes, and because of student loan debt, i have to find ways to save money now and later, to make it work! :) Running to the store with a baby in south Florida might not always be feasible; however, i am a crappy budgeter and am terrible at meal planning (the supermarket makes billions off of me!!). I find that doing that whole once a month cooking thing limits how much meat we buy and eat, and makes my life easier (no more nightly messes or kitchen battles), and saves me money (buying stuff when it's on sale at the grocery because i can wait until its cheaper!). I'm pretty sure you guys are meat-free, but for anyone else, it helps me a lot! No more buying whatever at the grocery! :)
    so excited for your new adventures - can't wait to see how great things turn out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running to the store only happens part of the year here too, but it does limit my grocery store purchases :)

      Delete
  2. I like to shop the outlets for my workout gear. I hate to spend full price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the last time I paid full price for workout clothes, love outlets :)

      Delete
  3. Good tips! Eating out is a big one- it adds up so quickly. We tracked EVERYTHING we spent when we were first married, just to see where our money was going. We both enjoyed having that data, but eventually we dropped it. We still set up a general budget every year but don't enter all receipts, cash spent, etc unless we know we're close to not staying on top of it. So glad you're happier already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating out is huge for us, working hard on cutting that one out.

      Delete
  4. These are great tips and I love Costco too! Even to get my gas too! TJMAxx and Marshalls have great deals on running shoes, workout wear and the clearance rack is even better.

    Congrats on the new career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I honestly can't think of anything else. You hit the ones I do. To expand on keeping a menu...shop from a list and stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to be better at sticking to my list when shopping!

      Delete
  6. LOve the quote about if you don't ask the answer is always no. It's so true! Also props to you on these goals. I do great at saving money but not so hot at living a healthy lifestyle. Something to improve in the future! Just found your blog and I'm excited to get to know you better. Hope you don't mind if I follow along...

    newest follower :)
    bonnie
    thelifeofbon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bonnie, glad you found me. I'll check out your blog too :)

      Delete
  7. My biggest tip is cancel the gym membership! I know working out at home isn't for everyone but it turned out to be one of the best health/fitness/financial decisions I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gym memberships are big, lucky for me mine is free with my run coordinator job :)

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your new career!

    My healthy budget tip is also to find a way to workout at home. Save time, gas and the monthly expense of the gym. It took me a while to figure out what worked for me at home, but once you figure it out, it's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my home gym too, but have the perk of a free gym membership with my run job :)

      Delete
  9. They are fantastic tips, and I really, really need to use some of them!

    Congratulations on your decision. I'm so glad that you did something that makes you happy. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...