Looking ahead: food, goals and life

I just realized I haven't even thought about the goals I set last month and decided it was time to see where I was at and make the changes to reach them.
  • Meal/Snack Planning and stick with it: Doing okay, still looking for more snack ideas, what are your go to healthy snacks? 
  • Register for NASM test: Still need to do this, my studying has taken a backseat to what I don't know! I will register today
  • Complete VO2 max testing and find HR monitor: Done this week and plan in place
  • Start swimming: 1 swim done on Sunday ~800m and even contemplating a tri in August 
  • Make 1 new meal each week: So far I have made Quinoa lasagna with eggplant and the kale quesadillas (below)

Kale Black Bean Quesadilla
2 green onions (both white and green) chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 bunch (~1 cup shredded) Kale destemmed
1 15oz can black beans rinsed/drained
1 cup sweet corn
1 tsp cumin
Sea Salt/Pepper to taste
2 tsp (or more/less) hot sauce
4 brown rice tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (I used non-dairy cheddar)

Saute onions and garlic until soft, add kale until wilted. Add beans and corn and season with cumin, salt/pepper and hot sauce until mixed and heated. Top tortilla with cheese and filling. Makes 4 or more depending on how full you fill. Grill for 3-4 min per side until cheese is melted. Top with salsa, guacamole, etc and serve. I love how the brown rice tortillas flaked.


My new boss and playing photographer
So here I am in my new found days of being a stay at home mom (yes, you read that right) I have decided for many reasons to not take the new job and for now I am only working very part time as a run coordinator while I figure out my next step in life. This is scary but wonderful at the same time as I have been unhappy in my career for many years and this was the wake up I needed to make a change. For now I am focusing on me and be a better mom, wife, runner, friend and taking time to enjoy all aspects of my life. Any advice from others taking a job break?

As long as my boss in in agreement my plans/goals while at home
  • Swim 1-2x week
  • Take NASM (and pass)
  • Boot Camp 2x week and bike there
  • Strength with trainer 1x week
  • Qaulity running: long run, speedwork, hills and an active recovery run
  • Finish 30 Day Ab Challenge
  • Daily fun activity with the boss
  • Experiment with more healthy meals, cook or at least have a plan daily with the focus on plant based eating and whole foods. Jill posted about the benefits of plant based eating on Fitness Friday today, check it out and other fitness blogs.
Looking forward to a fun weekend filled with Matt's triathlon, the Color Run with a long time friend GAC girl and family fun at the community festival.

Comments

  1. Great job on those goals! And your "boss" is super cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I find it so helpful to write down my goals for accountablity and to remember.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a great plan in place. Especially since you have a very cute boss. My job break turned into no job. LOL and Im not even a stay at home mom. But I miss working and thats why I chartered off into a new career and studying to be a personal trainer. Good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will miss working too, not sure how good I will be at the SAHM thing!

      Delete
  3. I like your new boss. Although I suppose she has been your boss for a while, but now she has become a boss you will spend more time with. I have a job where I work several months at a time and then get several months off every year. I spend my down time training for races, trying new fitness plans, taking classes online or at the local college, learning new craft skills, and cooking! You have to fill up the time a little, but try to finally DO all those things you have been wanting to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's been the boss almost 2 1/2 years (actually 3+ years if you count the pregnancy!) :-) Good ideas, I am trying new training plans and working harder at that but maybe I'll have to take up a new hobby too.

      Delete
  4. The one time I took a break from work I learned something very important, fill your days, with nothing to do things like cleaning and cooking can get pushed to the wayside easily too. Your goals while being at home look awesome, and I don't think you'll run into the problem of being bored. Congratulations on making the scary jump to be happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, cleaning always gets pushed aside since I hate it but cooking I love :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm currently working very flexible part time hours. I love that I have more time for me. Be careful not to be be 'busy doing nothing' its a surprisingly easy trap to get caught in I find. I'm a list maker for my true 'to do' things but I have a separate list of 'fun to do. Most of all enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea on the lists, I love that for work and school but never think to do it for home too.

      Delete
  6. I love quesadillas - going to try your recipe!

    I'm doing Color Me Rad in Boston this weekend. Looks like running and turning ourselves into rainbows is popular this summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun at your Color Run, it should be a fun experience :-)

      Delete
  7. Your quesadillas look awesome! I love that you're already considering a tri for August- you should do it! I think as runners, we can say they're just for fun and worry less about a certain time goal (that's what I'm hoping). :)
    Best wishes figuring out what's next. I have no idea what's next for me either, but am taking it a day at a time and enjoying staying home for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really close to registering, for me I think I need to get over the mental side holding me back from swimming. Good luck to you this weekend :-)

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the crazy life!! We should get out more a bit more often. I can't wait for this weekend it should be fun and an easy run for you. Your new boss has the cutest smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to run with you tomorrow :-) Yes we will plan more time out (with and without kids!)

      Delete
  9. It's a big weekend for Color Runs - I'm doing one this weekend too!

    Kale and black beans? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun at your Color Run too :-)

      Love kale and black beans, our CSA is providing us with plenty of kale :-)

      Delete
  10. I haven't made quesadillas in forever! I need to add them back in the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quesadillas are a frequent thing for us, so easy to throw on the grill in summer and oven in winter and great variety.

      Delete
  11. My favorite snacks are apple slices and almond butter or banana with peanut butter rolled in granola!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right now my favorite snack is protein smoothies. In fact I have a new recipe to try today with delicious cherries :)

    The quesadilla looks yummy!


    [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum cherries! I just got back to making protein smoothies again, so good and filling. Great in the heat!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...