What was I thinking? All about food!

What was I thinking this past weekend? It is amazing how with such great planning that lack of sleep can make all rational thought away. I Was a little nervous travelling and being at others mercy during the relay with all my food needs so I packed nearly a suitcase full of homemade granola, dried fruit, Lara Bars, Kind Bars and roasted edamame. Knowing there would be places to stop and that others were grabbing fruit and yogurt for me I figured I would be fine for a couple days.

Not too bad here, but you should have seen it Monday!
Wrong! I was fine until being awake nearly 20 hours on Thursday resulted in grabbing an old favorite of mine: Trader Joe's PB Pretzels. Lack of sleep on Friday ended up with me eating a wonderful homemade bagel and a lemon bar followed by 2 large slices of pizza after the race. As a result of this glutenful eating I was once again sporting the 6 month pregnant look (and there is a picture to prove it, yuck!). I also spent all of Monday in awful pain to the point I barely ate anything. A few days later I am finally feeling almost good again, but I have to think what was I thinking? And want to bring this back to my doctor who says I don't have a gluten issue. If this isn't prof then what is?! I needed to write this all out as a reminder if I decide to resume gluten again.

My few days of this has now resulted in lack of good eating, yesterday I overdid the afternoon carbs and ended up with a headache. My workouts and recovery have also suffered as a result. It is amazing how one big slip up leads to so many other issues. Now to get back on track...

Breakfast is back to my usual Banana Breakfast Cake but have been subbing in coconut flour and adding a full scoop of protein powder and some oats. I did give in and eat eggs last week and have been toying with the idea of raising chickens to have our own eggs (big thought, huh! and I think not allowed in the city).

Lunches thanks to our CSA have been salads with fresh spinach, kale, cucumber, tomatoes and edamame with a side of yogurt and fruit. I have also been topping with crumbled burgers for a little extra protein...

Black Bean/ Sweet Potato Burgers
1 can black beans rinsed/drained
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water or broth
1 medium sweet potato cooked
1 small yellow onion chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 tbsp hot sauce (or to taste)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chipotle pepper seasoning
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup corn meal
1/4 cup oats
Olive oil

Cook quinoa in water.Saute onion and garlic, add corn, hot sauce and seasonings and heat through. Mash beans and potato, add quinoa, onion, garlic, corn and mix. Add corn meal and oats (may need additional depending on size of potato). Form into patties and heat in pan until crust forms (about 5-6 min per side). Makes 12 burgers.

Snacks and Dinners need some more help, especially with our crazy week of evening activities. I also need to figure out better pre/post workout fuel for early morning and late evening workouts. What is your go to pre/post workout foods? And speaking of snacks why does my 2 year need candy and chips as a snack after a 1 hour evening dance class?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...