Torchlight 5K

Every year that I run this race I say never again, but I keep going back for more! The race begin in downtown at 7:30pm before a parade and follows some of the route ending with a party complete with music and beer. This year it was chip timed for the first year and was part of the USATF Championship curcuit. Due to the fact that thousands of runners take part, we were given special bibs allowing access to the front. Wow did I feel intimidated by this! Lining up next to Olympic hopefuls and elite runners, yikes.

I am not a nighttime racer, with my long list of food issues and GI complaints this is always tough to figure out. After a fast 4.5 miles in the morning and a hard weight session with my trainer in the afternoon I didn't know what to expect. I was hoping under 20 or at least under 21...




Some serious elites, can you tell...The real elites were off warming up with striders


I told myself I would push but as usual soon backed off when it got tough after about 1 1/2 miles. Mile 1 6:44 Mile 2 7:14 for a finish of 21:55. Okay so I can't complain too much I finished in the middle of the team championship pack, but not the race I had wanted.

I know I need more speedwork, I need to let myself work harder and push more. I am thinking of buying a race entry for a friend to run a 5K with me to push me and make me continue when it gets tough.

A short and sweet post for a short and not so sweet race as I pass time on a layover at the airport...

Let's talk secrets to gaining running speed....

Comments

  1. Great job! Sounds speedy to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race! I am considering another 5k soon but also have not been doing the speedwork... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need to make a point of doing speedwork at more then just races.

      Delete
  3. WOW!!! I wish I was that fast!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I the only one who is not going to write "great race!"? :) Because it clearly was not, you are capable of much faster time.
    But at least you know what went "wrong" and can "repair" it next time:)

    Evening races are weird. I used to race track in the afternoons/evenings all the time before but now it feels strange. I never know what to eat during the day and sitting in front of a computer at work for 9 hours before the race does not help either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always tough knowing you can do more then you were able. I think after some more speedwork I can get faster, but I have been neglecting it due to my injury earlier this year.
      I was waiting for someone to be honest and tell me I could race better, thanks ;)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on a solid race! I've never done a night race before so I'm not sure how my body would handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Night races are much different when you are a morning runner.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...