Unfortunately this is a natural thing build into our body's sleep-wake rhythm (Source). But this can also be part of our own doing.
A few things to consider:
- What was breakfast? (was there even a breakfast): Make sure to eat a quality breakfast with protein and carbs.
- What was lunch? Are you experiencing a crash from the high amount of carbs or sugar.
- Avoid high fat foods that sit in your stomach and take a long time to digest.
|Pro Bar has become a go to snack|
What to do:
- Move (especially if you are sitting all day): get up go for a walk if nothing else, workout if you can
- Go outside and get the fresh air and natural light
- Drink water
- Eat a healthy snack (carbs & protein): fruit & nuts, trail mix, yogurt & granola, cheese & crackers, hummus & veggies
- Take breaks from work, sitting and the computer
- Nap (15-30 minutes) to re-energize
- Get in a regular sleep routine
- Get regular exercise, my days are better when I get in a morning workout
- Grab a cup of coffee (okay not the best option but if all else fails or is impossible)
|Love my coffee!|
Some of my favorites from the Experts:
- Avoid stress
- Avoid caffeine
What works to get you through the afternoon slump?