Beating the afternoon energy slump

Ever have those times when it is about 2 or 3pm and you are in desperate need of a nap? I do, way too often especially on my long days and this is often time for a meeting or driving home, neither times work well for sleep! Lately with my heavy loaded early week, less exercise post-marathon and changing season this has become more of an issue. There I days when it hits so hard I end up with a headache and my only options are sleep or a snack (which tends to result in mindless eating).

Unfortunately this is a natural thing build into our body's sleep-wake rhythm (Source). But this can also be part of our own doing.

A few things to consider:
  • What was breakfast? (was there even a breakfast): Make sure to eat a quality breakfast with protein and carbs.
  • What was lunch? Are you experiencing a crash from the high amount of carbs or sugar.
  • Avoid high fat foods that sit in your stomach and take a long time to digest.
Pro Bar has become a go to snack

What to do:
  • Move (especially if you are sitting all day): get up go for a walk if nothing else, workout if you can
  • Go outside and get the fresh air and natural light
  • Drink water
  • Eat a healthy snack (carbs & protein): fruit & nuts, trail mix, yogurt & granola, cheese & crackers, hummus & veggies
  • Take breaks from work, sitting and the computer
  • Nap (15-30 minutes) to re-energize
  • Get in a regular sleep routine
  • Get regular exercise, my days are better when I get in a morning workout
  • Grab a cup of coffee (okay not the best option but if all else fails or is impossible)
Love my coffee!

Some of my favorites from the Experts:
  • Avoid stress
  • Avoid caffeine
  • Relax
Honestly, how many of us do the above? Between work, family, friends, kids, school, etc how can we avoid stress. I don't know about everyone else but I have tried and will not give up my coffee! When I am home I love this time to workout, while O naps. Even an easy ride on the trainer while I look over some work papers helps wake me up and avoids the kitchen!
What works to get you through the afternoon slump?

Comments

  1. Yes! I've really been struggling with it this week. Twice I actually laid down and took a quick nap while L napped, which I never do! But it helped. Just saw your good news about the cert- congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I wonder if the weather is causing us all more fatigue too?

      Delete
  2. I have been feeling this so much lately too. I have had to take a couple of naps this week. Less stress would be nice:) I guess I need to figure out how to make that happen:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you figure out the stress thing, I'd love to know the secret to less stress as a mom :)

      Delete
  3. I've battled the 3:00 slump for what seems like forever. I don't like to nap so I avoid that if at all possible and I'm still at work at 3:00 so it's really not an option. I've monitored my diet. I've tried everything I can think of and the slump still happens. Ugh! I'm curious to see what others say works for them.

    [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found the answer yet either, wish there was a simple fix :) I wonder if some of our bodies just need that break.

      Delete
  4. I try to go out and at least walk around the block at lunch time (if not several blocks!), then I have another cup of coffee and just work through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking does help me too, as the weather gets colder it is tough to get outside :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...