Music for Marathon Motivation

I am only 4 days away from marathon #20 and after being in marathon training mode for 10 months I am just not feeling it anymore. After a great 2011 of racing and PRs 2012 has not stood up to my high expectations. I got back into my overtraining and injury cycle. It all started last Winter when I chose to ignore a calf pain that eventually ended up being an early stress fracture. I had barely enough time to recover and run Boston in April. I never fully healed and as a result have dealt with more calf issues, a hamstring pain and glute issues over the Summer. A lot of icing, cross training to get through and foam rolling when I actually could run. Fortunately I am feeling good now, at least when I don't push too hard on hills but still not in full racing form.

So here I am frustrated and trying to convince myself that I can run this race for fun and regain my love of running again. How does music come into this? I am strongly considering running the marathon with music to help with my motivation. I have gotten out of the habit of running with music and my playlist needs help. This is where I need your help...What is your favorite running/workout song? Help me improve my playlist for Sunday.

Comments

  1. you should check out the playlists on rock my run - i use them for walking or just listening to. they have all lengths, types of music, and BPMs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's odd, I'm not quite as injured as you, and I'm about to hit my first marathon (not my trillionth ;-)) but I'm feeling the tired, the frustration and the lack of inspiration. I've also been wondering whether music might help me get my groove back.

    I don't know what your taste in music is like, but I'm a fan of 'More'by Usher, Vinylshakerz (for really upbeat stuff in a pinch) and La Roux, Bulletproof. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of some of those songs but I always like new music :)

      Delete
  3. I love the song Undefeated by Jason Derulo. It's got a fun, dance-worthy beat to pick you up when you feel like giving in! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added that one recently, forgot all about it!

      Delete
  4. I find that you need to pick songs that dont always have a fast beat, but ones that always "move" you in some way. If they evoke a nostalgic feeling or make you want to sing out loud, those are usually the best ones to motivate me during a long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I have a some old nostalgic songs that I always love the hear when I need motivation :)

      Delete
  5. Your 20th marathon?? Wow, Jen! I'd be burnt out, too. :) I second the suggestion for anything that moves you... some of the songs I use often in spin class are Drive By (Train), Good Feeling (Flo Rida), San Francisco... good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 20 in 10 years I never thought I'd be at this point when I started with my goal of one and only one marathon!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, have some but will have to check out the newer stuff :)

      Delete
  7. Stronger by Kelly Clarkson! Always helps me over the hills! Good Luck!
    itsaharleyyylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am incredibly awed this will be your 20th marathon!!!! So awesome!!! I don't listen to music much while running. But I'm really liking the song "Some Nights" by Fun right now. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your accomplishments!! I'm totally in awe!! Sorry about the injuries though! Boston in April was a hard race, congratultions on that as well!

    As for music, I'm an 80's kid, so I love listening to some of the older songs ... Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue, One Week & It's All Been Done by Barenaked Ladies, Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana, Everybody (Backstreet's Back) by the Backstreet Boys, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me by U2 ..... and then Paramore can always get me moving (CrushCrushCrush, Misery Business, Ignorance, Brick by Boring Brick). Newer stuff has Blackout by Breathe Carolina, Story of Us by Taylor Swift, Blow Me One Last Kiss by Pink, Sing by My Chemical Romance ........ Not sure any of these will appeal to you, but maybe some may be a jumping off point? Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a few of those and love the older songs but always forget which ones to add :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...