Post Marathon Goals and Mac n Cheese


Just like taper madness is a real thing so is post-marathon letdown. You work so hard for so long, it takes priority many days and consumes your thoughts until race day is done, it feels as if you have lost a huge part of who you are: now what? Enjoy the time, relax, refocus and set new goals. What do you do with your extra time when not training?

Post-Marathon Goals:
  • Heal and stay injury free, do my daily PT exercises
  • Run gadget free and without goals, do what feels good
  • Tuesday/Friday spin class
  • Thursday morning swim
  • 3x week strength (2 on my own and 1 with trainer)
  • Look ahead to 2013 races Who's joining me for 13 halfs in 2013?
  • Focus on my family, plan activities with O and Matt
  • Get back to cleaning/organizing the house
  • Get back to studying for NASM CPT and take test
  • Get out of my food rut and start making new recipes again...here is one already and a way to use up some of the winter squash taking over out house!

Squash/Chipotle Mac n Cheese with black beans
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 cup corn(I use frozen)
1 15oz can black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1- 1 1/2cups skim milk or nondairy milk
1 small winter squash cooked (I used acorn)
1 bell pepper diced
1 tomato diced or 1 can (optional)
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 16oz package GF corn pasta cooked al dente
1 cup bread crumbs (I used GF cornbread)

Saute onion, garlic until soft, add pepper and adobo sauce. Squash and onion mix in food processor until smooth, add yogurt and 1/4 cup milk and puree. In large bowl mix squash mix with remaining ingredients except bread crumbs. Pour into 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray, top with bread crumbs. Cook 35-40 min 325F
Serve topped with salsa, avocado, etc.

It was great to start my day with relaxing and coffee, before the busy weekend ahead: Homecoming, RRCA course, a wedding and attempting to fit in a strength session. Happy Friday, check out Jill for Fitness Friday. Any fun weekend activities? 

Comments

  1. Have a great weekend! Enjoy the RRCA course:) If Randy is teaching, he is really funny:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Randy (at least I think so from the emails). Good to know since I hate sitting for that long, I need someone funny to keep me awake!

      Delete
  2. that looks delicious! thanks for sharing, found you via FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious and super easy, plus the leftovers are always good :)

      Delete
  3. Yes- that let down is very real. I'm glad you know to expect it by now! Your mac and cheese sounds yummy- we're making a cauliflower mac n cheese tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post. It reminds me so much of how I feel after the figure competition season comes to an end. You train and diet for months and then when it is over, you feel like an alien on your own weird planet.
    I love your idea of 13 halfs! My goal next year is to do just one :-) Oh, and your recipe looks killer. I am going to see if I can make it with vegan cheese! Yummy!
    Oh, by the way, I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the "Very Inspiring Blogger Award". Because you rock. Thanks for being you and for sharing your life with us.
    http://misostrong.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/you-like-me-you-really-like-me/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) We will post more on the 13 in 2013 soon, would love for you to join us.

      Delete
  5. I love that quote! Thanks for sharing it-I'd never heard it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of my favorite DK quotes! You're handling the post marathon blues extremely well :) We still have to chat about 13 in 2013 :) As soon as I'm done with the Runner's World weekend next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect the let-down is worse than I anticipate! Great post, great tips, and, as always, much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are surviving your post-race and enjoying the extra time :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like some great post-race goals. :) I'd love to do 13 in 2013, but I'll have to check my budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love for you to join us in 13 in 2013, I hope to make virtual runs an option to make it easier on the budget :)

      Delete
  9. It's no surprise that there is the let down after months of training. It sounds like you have a solid plan! Your recipe looks delicious! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the addition of black beans YUM!! :) You also have a solid plan going!!
    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! Thanks for helping get our party kicked off this week! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, black beans and chipotle peppers are a great addition :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey Day 5K

GoMacro Thrive Review and Giveaway!

A few Races...